We spoke with some local retailers to find out just how romantic Calgarians really are.
Romance in Calgary
Amazon.ca compiled a list of the most romantic cities in Canada based on the sales of romance novels, relationship books, romantic comedies and romantic CDs. Victoria, B.C. was the most romantic city in Canada for the second year in a row, purchasing the most romantic novels, CDs and DVDs in the country. Winnipeg, MB and Niagara Falls, ON earned second and third most romantic city in Canada respectively.
Calgary earned 13th place on Amazon’s list.
Romantic Treats Calgarians Love
Individual chocolate hearts. Photo courtesy of Chocolaterie Bernard Callebaut, owned and operated by Cococo Chocolatiers Inc.
It turns out Calgarians love chocolate, especially at Valentine’s Day. We spoke with Kristen Halpen from Chocolaterie Bernard Callebaut, owned and operated by Cococo Chocolatiers Inc., to find out just how much we like to indulge in chocolate – and treat our loved ones to it – during this romantic month.
- The chocolaterie’s most popular individual chocolates at Valentine’s Day are the fresh cream filled hearts.
- The fresh cream filled hearts have a shelf life of only three weeks because of the cream, hence their limited availability.
- More than 84,000 of these hearts are handcrafted each year for Valentine’s Day.
- The downtown Calgary factory handcrafts all the chocolates for the company’s 34 locations, 12 of which are in Calgary.
- Each chocolate recipe makes between 15,000 and 16,000 chocolates.
- Valentine’s Day is its second busiest holiday of the year after Christmas.
Flowers and Bouquets
Calgarian men are traditional when it comes to Valentine’s Day. According to observations at Kensington Florist, flower sales spike this time of year.
- Roses are still the most popular choice of flower for Valentines Day.
- Flowers are ordered in traditional, romantic colours this time of year, including reds, pinks, whites and purples.
- The inclusion of tropical flowers, or the attempt to replicate a wedding bouquet, is becoming more and more popular.
- Valentine’s Day is the second busiest day of the year at Kensington Florist, after Mother’s Day.
Special Nights Out For Valentine’s Day
Exterior of the River Cafe. Photo courtesy of River Cafe.
Calgarians still use Valentine’s Day as an opportunity to enjoy a relaxing, romantic evening. Sal Howell, the proprietor and founder of River Caf shares some interesting Valentine’s Day info.
- The River Caf is booked solid for Valentine’s Day months in advance. The earliest reservation for this year was made on October 1, 2013.
- It’s bubbles season: champagne is the most popular drink ordered here on Valentine’s Day.
- Valentine’s Day draws a younger demographic than average to the River Caf. The restaurant will see first dates or couples out for their first special dinner on this night.
- Proposals take place on a regular occurrence here: River Caf staff has been asked to get involved in the proposal, putting the ring in champagne or in the dessert.
- The River Caf saw one proposal in 2013 and two proposals on New Year’s Eve.