Fall weather is fickle. It can be sunny and warm one day and rainy and cold the next. Finding the right clothing to match the tempermental season can be tricky. We called in advice from local expert Kelly Schneider, the owner of 27 Boutique. The 17 Avenue store opened in July 2012 and offers what Schneider describes as ’boutique style, without the boutique prices.” We chat with Schneider about inspiration, must-have fall pieces and dressing for the holidays.
5 must-have pieces for fall
1) Faux leather. Accenting is really on trend. It could be a pair of leggings or a jacket with faux leather sleeves.
Faux leather-accented top and leggings by Vero Moda.
2) Infinity scaves. Buy a a scarf in earth tone like bright harvest yellow and layer it.
3) Headbands. They are trending this year. Try a chunky knitted or fabric headband, again in earth tones.
4) Military green. The biggest colour for fall is military green. Buy anything in that colour and add it to your wardrobe.
5) Ankle boots. For fall, a cute pair of ankle boots are really hot. Cuff the bottoms of your jeans and throw them on.
Ankle boots: Coconuts by Matisse.
4 places she finds inspiration
1) Magazines. I especially like Fashion magazine.
2) Rachel Bilson. She can balance cute casual looks but she also knows how to dress up.
3) Becky Kung. She’s my favourite local fashion blogger. She was just at New York Fashion Week. Her blog is Velvet & Vino.
4) 17th Avenue S.W. It’s where 27 Boutique is located, but it’s also such a great fashion hub. I love how busy it is. There always seems to be something new happening whether it’s a new store or new restaurant.
Any advice for dressing for holiday parties?
One essential piece is a little black dress. You can glam them up with lots of jewelry or keep them more casual. I really love Finders Keepers they have some really unique dresses you wont find anywhere else.
Keen for more fashion tips? Join 27 Boutique and Becky Kung for a Fall/Winter Fashion Show on October 29 at 6 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 587-353-1127. (1510 17 Ave. S.W., 27boutique.com, @27_boutique)