So you want to make sure your wardrobe is on-trend while also having those classic items that never go out of style? Before pulling out your credit card we have a few tips on how to get both.
When to Shop for Trends
1. When it comes to fashion trends I alway shop at places like Joe Fresh or Topshop. Their designers are always pushing the most current trends at reasonable prices.
2. Always look at the construction (stitch work, colour dyes, etc.) You need to remember these products are produced in massive quantities so quality can be missed.
3. Try it on! Because of the production level there are odd size cuts. It sounds like a lot to look for, but in the end it will last a bit longer and look better on you.
Quick tip: Two big trends for spring-summer 2014 are bold art graphics and the box cut. Do bold art graphics in an accessory because a graphic print can easily swallow you up and take over. I suggest wearing the box cut as a top.
Modernist twill shirt, $27.80, from Forever 21. (Chinook Centre, 403-253-5283, and CrossIron Mills, 403-274-4922, forever21.com)
Patterned scarf, $15, from H&M. (CrossIron Mills, 403-274-0871, and various other Calgary locations, hm.com)
When to Make an Investment
1. For investment pieces find a boutique or specialty shop where the staff care about their service. This will prevent you from getting tricked into buying something for the sake of a sale. With great customer service you’re sure to get a proper fit and future care of the product.
2. Your base wardrobe is where you should invest your money. That includes different items for different people. Divide your base wardrobe by use and presentation. Items in your wardrobe that you spend the most time in – suits or outerwear, for example – buying quality will make them last longer. Presentation items are for moments when you need to look your best are – a gala or important meetings. A few extra dollars spent on those items will have you looking your best.
Quick tip: Invest in a pencil skirt and a button-up collared shirt. These two pieces happen to be a trend right now, too – double bonus.
Tailored-fit glass-button blouse, $128, from Brooks Brothers. (The Core, 403-441-0841, brooksbrothers.com)
Joan skirt, $450, from Judith & Charles (Chinook Centre, 403-252-5206, and The Core, 403-263-6761, judithandcharles.com)
This story was part of Avenue‘s free weekly Style Newsletter. Sign up now and get home decor and fashion information and advice in your inbox every Wednesday.