Back for its third year, Chinook Blast is bringing pure winter magic from Jan 27 to Feb 12, 2023, to downtown Calgary. With live music, light and art installations, theatrical performances, outdoor sports, cultural experiences, and night markets, this is the biggest and most diverse lineup Chinook Blast has put together for Calgarians to enjoy.
Chinook Blast Hub Lights Up the Downtown Core
Radiating from Stephen Avenue to Olympic Plaza to East Village, the Chinook Blast Hub will once again be animated throughout the three weeks.
Live Performances and Sporting Events
Put on your long johns and get ready to groove to live music, skate to tunes and get up close and personal with your favourite artists. Some of the programs at Olympic Plaza include:
- Weekend Sport Festival on Jan 28 and 29 – Sport Calgary returns with its 2nd edition of the weekend sport festival with demonstrations of speed skating, synchronized skating and more ice sports.
- Four Winds Indigenous Showcase & Market on Feb 3. A collaboration of talented Indigenous artists, including Juno-nominated country and classic rock artist Armond Duckchief and the 2022 Juno Winner for Traditional Indigenous Artist of the Year, Fawn Wood, will take the stage at Olympic Plaza.
- Drag on Ice on Feb 11. For the first time in Alberta, watch the finest drag performers strut their stuff on ice! (Due to unforeseen circumstances, Chinook Blast has decided to postpone this event. Read the full update here).
- Plus, live music performances presented by Arts Commons, BIG Winter Classic, Block Heater and Ethnik Festivals throughout the three weeks.
Art and Light Installations
You’ll see installations even more invigorating than arctic air, including the 1,000 lb metal flame-blowing dragon sculpture, a massive Instagrammable LED light tunnel, and more!
Iconic Festivals Throughout Chinook Blast
Chinook Blast’s iconic anchor events are back in full force, building excitement before, during, and after the three-weekend festival.
- High Performance Rodeo kicks off festivities with theatre, music, dance, and multidisciplinary art from local, national and international artists. Jan 16 to Feb 5
- BIG Winter Classic returns for its 7th year, where music, arts and culture collide. Big experiences take over small spaces in Calgary’s Beltline. Jan 25 to 29
- Nitro Rallycross NEW THIS YEAR! This adrenaline-charged motorsport event showcases elite drivers like Travis Pastrana facing off in the world’s most explosive electric race cars at Stampede Park on ice. Feb 4 to 5
- Snow Rodeo FIS Snowboard Slopestyle and Halfpipe World Cups come to Canada Olympic Park! It is a week of high-flying action. Feb 6 to 12
- Block Heater, one of the city’s fastest-growing music festivals, is back for its 8th iteration with shows for every taste and vibe. Filled with independent artists from our backyard and the globe. Feb 9 to 12
- Ethnik Festivals, one of Calgary’s newest arts and cultural festivals, keeps the Chinook Blast spirit alive as Afro-Canadian and Caribbean communities share their diverse, vibrant cultural traditions. Feb 24 to 25
With additional partners, including Calgary Central Library, National Music Centre, Platform Calgary, East Village, Contemporary Calgary, Telus Convention Centre and Calgary Downtown Association, many of which will have programming for all to enjoy!
For all things Chinook Blast, please visit chinookblast.ca
#chinookblast #winterfestival #yycevents #winteryyc
This content was supplied by the advertiser for commercial purposes. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Avenue staff.